School Essentials Grant
The Welsh Government School Essentials Grant helps to fund a child’s school uniform and equipment, plus items for outside school activities, where families are on low incomes. The scheme for the 2023/24 academic year opened on 1 July 2023.
The grant provides assistance to families on low incomes for the purchase of:
- School uniform including coats and shoes
- School sports kit including footwear
- Uniform for enrichment activities, including but not limited to, scouts; guides; cadets; martial arts; sports; performing arts or dance
- Equipment e.g school bags and stationary
- Specialist equipment where new curriculum activities begin such as design and technology
- Laptops or tablets
- Equipment for out of school hour’s trips such as outdoor learning e.g waterproofs.
Who is eligible?
Pupils eligible for free school meals can receive this funding for the September 2023/24 school year, if, in September 2023, they are:
- entering reception class or years 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 or 6 of maintained primary schools
- entering year 7, 8, 9, 10 or 11 of maintained secondary schools
- aged 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 or 15 years in special schools, special needs resource bases or pupil referral units
Funding is also available to all looked-after children of compulsory school age. irrespective of Free School Meals entitlement.
Pupils with no recourse to public funds entering the above years in the 2023/24 school year are also entitled to assistance under this funding.
A payment of £125 will be made per pupil in all qualifying school years with the exception of pupils entering Year 7 who will each receive a payment of £200.
Please note that the one year uplift of £100 (2022/23) on the value of this grant has now ended.
The local authority in which the looked-after child attends school is responsible for issuing the grant.
Pupils who receive free school meals due to transitional protection arrangements or as part of the universal primary free school meal scheme do not qualify for this funding.
Eligibility criteria for Free School Meals & School Essentails Grant (for low income families)
Pupils will be eligible for a Free School Meal and a School Essentials Grant if parents/carers are in receipt of one of the following benefits:
- Income Support or Income Based Jobseekers Allowance
- Income Related Employment Support Allowance
- Child Tax Credit (the annual income must be less than £16,190 for the household)
- Guaranteed Element of State Pension Credit
- Support under Part VI of the Immigration and Asylum Act 1999
- Universal Credit, provided the household has an annualised net earned income of no more than £7400
Note: if you are in receipt of Working Tax Credit, you will NOT be eligible to receive Free School Meals nor a School Essentials Grant
If you have any queries relating to the eligibility of Free School Meals or the School Essentials Grant please email:
firstname.lastname@example.org or telephone 01633 851579
Please contact Llanwern High School directly if you have any queries regarding the receipt of Free School Meals under the universal primary free school meal scheme.